Skip to main content

In the still of the night

My high school friends called him, "Indiana Jones."  I wrote a paper about him in college.  I have yet to stop meeting folks that were impressed with him.  This is hard.

He lies just to my left.  Short of breath.  A faraway look in his open eyes (don't get me started on how odd it is to sleep with your eyes open).  There's nothing I can do, nothing I can offer.  So we sit.

Here we sit in Tidewell Hospice - a lovely room, clean - un-hospital like - foreign to him for the last 3 months since the stroke.  I speak to him, unsure if he can hear.  Unsure if he can respond.

*check - I glance over and he's peaceful.

We've got music playing and lights down low (open eyes and all).  I got here last night - flew in with Reagan and so far, we've seen zero change.  He's unresponsive, staring and has short, labored breathing.

* check - I glance over and he's peaceful.

I swear when I turn my eyes back to the laptop he's making faces at me.

And then he's gone.  His eyes opened wider, breathing slowed.  It was very peaceful

###
I wrote the above back in June and I can't bring myself to change or edit it.  So there it is.

Since then, it's been a whirlwind of what is life without Dad.  The familiar suddenly reminds me of Dad.  The hardware store, Walts Market, every tool I own, everything brings his absence to mind.  I was given the time for some deep thought.

The next workday after I got back home from Florida, I got a note from my company's CEO about meeting him.  This can't be good.  They had closed the office building but the plan was I'd still have a job, just working remotely.  Seems I'd been fooled.

So, no job didn't bug me as my thoughts kept drifting back to Dad.  And Mom, and my other Mom.  The feeling of both parents now deceased is daunting, like walking out on a diving board over a cliff - it's just Rob and I.  We've got a good family, friends, spouses to keep us sane but in the bloodline, we're orphans.

And oddly, there's a feeling I've been ready for this since September 13, 1984.  Something at Mom's passing gave me the realization that both parents were going to pass one day and I'd not be caught off guard again.  So perhaps, I pulled back from Dad, knowing that he could be taken at any moment.  It's an odd realization.

But I know that's not true, because I am still not ready.  Still so much left to learn from the man, so much to say.  Did I do enough?  Was I a good enough kid?  I dunno but I suspect most folks ask themselves these questions.

So, I've found peace with his passing.  I am OK.  Life goes on.  And I found a new job, restoring faith in myself.  It's weird how that got all wound up in all of this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...