Skip to main content

Getting ready for sun, fun


Our masks, fins and snorkels are on their way. My kids know how to ask in broken spanish, how to find the bathroom, how to introduce themselves and how to order two beers. My tevas are washed (but probably still have an funky oder about them). In short, we are ready to go.

Of course, Mel decided to get sick. She is home again today trying to get me to catch her cooties. Not. Gonna. Happen. I should start getting symptoms tomorrow.

As is tradition before a major vacation, we canceled our TV service. Good bye DirecTV. For the past 3 months we've suffered pixelation that 2 service calls couldn't fix (I think it is in the cables). And they left the old satellite dish in our yard - what the heck am I supposed to do with that?

Unfortunately, that also means good bye to TiVo, at least for now. The on-demand thing looks fun and shelling out another couple of hundred for another box just seems silly. We'll see if we can live with a standard issue DVR. I doubt it.

In other news, we got a dusting of snow this past weekend. About an inch, woo hoo. Ian and I made an awesomely grass covered snowman. That took a lot of work in 1 inch of snow, let me tell you. "Bob" , Ian named him - don't ask, died today. He as become a blog in our lawn thanks to 50 degree weather and a bit of rain. Don't you wish you lived in the northeast?

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is 82 and sunny, not a chance. While you were getting your dusting of snow, I was enjoying the benefits of year long summer in the FL Keys. Live in the NE? Not a chance!

Noj nOj noJ
Profe said…
tip for the Tevas. I am told (haven't tried it yet) that kitty litter will suck all funk out of nasty shoes.
The Big Melon said…
Patty, thanks for the tip.

I tried that and besides feeling really uncomfortable under foot, the kitty litter kept falling out the sides of the sandal as I walked.

barump-cha. Thank you folks, I'll be here all week; don't forget to tip your waitress...

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...