
No, my citizenship is not in jeopardy, rather, my status as head coach may be. For the first time in my five year coaching history, I earned the dreaded yellow card. The card served as a warning, to keep my big, fat, mouth shut.
We were an hour away from home, on a Saturday. The game started off, like most do, with my team (Reagan's team) finding their groove and starting to do damage. Then the calls started, bad reffing calls, only on our team.
At first, I give the ref the benefit of the doubt. He's working the game by himself, so he gets some more slack. Only it doesn't stop. And we're getting beat.
That's when I decide I have to help level the playing field for my girls. So, I helpfully point out the game that the ref is missing. Only, he doesn't see it that way. In fact, he gets kind of uppity about it.
That's when my assistant coach utters, "you're crazy." And that's the straw the breaks the camels back. The ref goes on a tirade about how good a job he's doing and whips out the yellow. The ref kindly offers a red if we'd like to keep going. Then we glare at each other for what feels like 10 minutes and the game resumes.
Technically, I get the card even though I stopped short of calling the ref crazy. A fun twist of the rules says the head coach gets all the cards. I advise my assistant coach that if it goes further, I can't coach the next game, I am barred from doing so.
We end up losing, our first (and only) loss of regular season game. I don't blame the ref for the loss, only the unfair playing field - no more than I'd blame lumpy grass, crooked goals or faded lines on the field.
I got another talking to on Sunday. The ref stopped the game again and decided to put an end to my helpful hints that they forgot the "don't-hit-my girls-in-the-head-with-a-stick" rule. I received a stern talking to. I did avoid the card though, so bonus there.
In between these two games, I got the chance to ref a bantam boys game. The job stinks. Coaches are questioning you, plaryers and even parents (mind you, this is an 8 year old boy game). Questioning calls at an 8 year olds game is just, well, silly. A 13 year old girls game: completely justified, ha.
The ref on Sunday was letting the game get dangerous. Things improved after our "chat". And after reffing, I am much nicer to the refs. I make it a habit to apologize before the game.
Comments