Today, for the first time this year, Ian was took the hand off and headed for the end zone. A quick snap, a firm place of the ball into Ian's hands and off he went. Ian ran like a mad man. For about 10 yards, horizontally. Then the opposing player who snuck through the line flattened my boy. To his credit, Ian managed to hold onto the ball. He got up quickly.
And was thrilled.
He says he was "stunned" that the quarterback said the ball was going to Ian. After that play (which was an extra point conversion), he ran with a firmer step. I imagine he was smiling ear to ear under his helmet.
He hasn't stopped talking about it since. He is loving football and being part of this team. I can't figure it out, but he loves it. I've always kept football at arms length, I was not allowed to play as a kid.
But my brothers played, through college. Ian must have inherited the football gene that lay dormant in me. Gosh, he loves the game.
He'll be showing off his new gloves (if he's going to be the ball carrier, it apparently requires me to pay another $20) as he takes on the team my brothers played for, on the field they played on and where I used to play lacrosse on.
It should be a hoot next
Sunday.
Comments