Skip to main content

Broken window


There are few things in parenting, I've found, that feels right.  Sorry kids if you are reading this.  The truth is I've been winging it.  Hands up if you're surprised?  No one?  Fine.

It was almost sunset on Labor Day when I asked Ian, "do you want to go throw the ball around?"  He said yes and we had a nice father-son toss out in the street and backyard.  It felt great to have a stick in my hand and truth be told, my skills are getting rusty.

So we're in the back yard shooting and one of mine goes wide of the mark and hits our fence.  Ian points to our neighbors shed and says, mine went a little higher this week.  Upon inspection, I realize he's pointing to the window.  It's broken.

It was broken by a lacrosse ball.  He won't tell me, but I picture it like this: shot goes wide, he looks around to see who heard and off he runs into the house.  He decides he'll tell me when "the time is right."  Of course, the time never seems right.

He and I have a quick talk and decide we've got to come clean.  His eyes are welling up, despite his public speaking skills, he's not ready to confront someone on his own, and I get that.  So I offer to go with him to speak to our neighbor.  He and I hatch a plan to clean up the window and fix it.

He's nervous on the walk over, far more than he needs to be.  He's embarrassed and you can see in his eyes he feels horrible about the whole thing and just wants it to stop.  The neighbor invites us in and we sit and tell her we've got a problem.

I break the ice and then pass it to Ian.  He talks quickly.  I know it's the nerves.  His eyes are welling up again.  It's then that neighbor catches my eyes and realizes this is one of those teaching moments.  She doesn't care about the window but she's willing to play along and let us fix it.  We part laughing and with thanks.

The walk home is far happier.  Ian has a bounce in his step again and a smile on his face.  Something tells me a weight was lifted off his shoulders.

I can't speak for Ian but this was one of those good parenting moments that they ought to hand out awards for.  I played it well as did Ian.  I think this will be one of those things he remembers well into adulthood and I suspect I will too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...