Skip to main content

"Dad, do you get me?" --Ian


Last night, we went to a special church service where Reagan and Mel sang in the choir (ask me about Mel's singing sometime when she is not around). Ian and I sat in the front row, all by ourselves, Ians choice.

So we are part way into the singing service when Ian asks me, "Dad, do you get me?". At this point in my life, I am preparing for Reagan to be asking this question, but instead it comes from little Ian. He meant if I heard him say his stomach and head hurt him, but the larger question loomed long after he stopped waiting for answer. Do I get him?

Heck, i am not sure I even get me, much less him. I like to think I know him well. I know how to make him laugh, where he is ticklish, what makes him sad and how to scare him. But do I get him?

I think as long as you are still trying to find the answer, the answer is yes. It is when you stop trying that you don't get someone.

In other news, we found out Ian will have the same kindergarten teacher that Reagan did. This is great news as we loved this teacher and Ian already knows her. Hooray!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...