Skip to main content

Hooked on Sandy

Not a good year for things named Sandy.  Be it Superstorm or Hook, it's been a rough fall for Connecticut.  Here's what I've seen.

From the hurricane (which is derived from the early Taino people who lived in the Caribbean - we also get the word barbecue from them as well - fun stuff), I watched from Vegas.  Note: news channels are a horrible way of trying to ease your mind of everything back home.  Mel and the kids evacuated (under orders) but we sustained no damage.  Lots of branches down but nothing to worry about.

From the shootings, we, like many I suspect, were left to a feeling of helplessness.  Here's a break down of my thought process:

  • Friday - Ban guns, ban crazy people, ban elementary schools, ban bullets, ban little kids from existing outside a soft bubble.
  • Saturday - Ban just the guns.  All guns.
  • Sunday - Maybe we just ban the ugly looking guns
  • Monday - Banning wont work.  Thanks a lot Rob.
  • Tuesday - Trap doors.  The world needs more trap doors.   You hit a button and the bad guy falls into a pit with alligators.  Alligators can't get out of the pit.  Folks may accidentally fall through the trap door from time to time, but hey, someone has to feed the gators.
  • Wed -  ban the trap doors.
I should point out here that I not longer subscribe to cable.  We're get our TV via Hulu and Netflix.  That means my news comes from Twitter (fast breaking) and Google News now and then.  I normally don't hunt news out.

So when every discussion I see turns into a "liberal nutjob" and " conservative nitwit" name calling battle; I get so put off.  These discussions run roughshod into the fiscal cliff mess and we end up just with names.  Why we can't have a discussion on how to make the US a better?  Safer place for kids isn't a blue state/red state issue.  It's a human issue.

So we took the kids to a candlelight vigil the town held last Sunday.  It was more religious than I thought it might be, and that surprised me.  Maybe I am out of touch, but does grieving equal God in 2012?  I am certain human existence has come up with something besides quoting scripture to ease the pain.  I left feeling well, if that helps someone, fantastic but I was looking for something bigger something I didn't get at church earlier that day.

The kids were fine.  Ian was sad but he and Reagan got right back into the school swing of things...

Then we come to Facebook.  When did facebook become the dumping ground for "I can still say God Bless America, right" sentiment???  Here's one I saw yesterday: "God, where were you when the school kids needed you?  I am not allowed in schools -God."  Really?  So we control the omnipotent one now?  Oy.  

And what's with the folks who are pissed that they feel they can't say Merry Christmas?  Say what you like, but saying it to your Jewish friends is a little odd.  Or your friends that celebrate Kwanzaa or Festivus.  I say Happy Boxing Day but only get strange looks.  Nothing is stopping you from saying Merry Christmas except your social graces.

Gut check - am I sounding too much like an old man?

Comments

Gardner Mason said…
Thanks for not saying my old man!

The old man

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...