
Our life is frittered away by detail... Simplify, simplify, simplify! ... Simplicity of life and elevation of purpose. --Henry David Thoreau ("Where I Lived and What I Lived For" Walden)
We have too much stuff. All of us. So, as part of my ongoing series on how to simplify your life, here is my list of accomplishments so far:
- key reduction: I've got from a jailers set of keys for everyone's house within a 30 mile radius to one key. I take the car key (just the one I intend to drive) and that is it.
- Pro: No more jingle jangles
- Con: I get locked out of my house frequently.
- Wallet reduction: This is as of last night. Many of you were familiar with my velcro wallet. Let me tell you, nothing impresses a client at a business dinner than a "ripppp' of my wallet...
- Pro: honestly, no more "rippppp"
- Con: velcro is associated with my teens. I am old now.
- Kid reduction: just kidding.
- Phone reduction: I've gone from the standard issue flip phone to a sleek, slim candy bar
design. No bells or whistles, well almost. - Pro: Simple, no more hitting odd buttons on opening. I can IM (instant message) Mel from my bike rides with it... No odd bulges in my pants (I am not going to follow that up with a lude joke...and neither should you...)
- Con: Now I'll never perfect the "perfect flip" of the phone...which looks cooler in my mind then in practice. Like rolling a pack of cigs in my t-shirt...
- Gear reduction: I've gone from 27 speed bikes down to 1 speed. Now I am always in the right gear; or depending on how my day is going, wrong gear.
- Pro: mind is free to think happy thoughts
- Con: I walk more on long, steep climbs; knees may not last forever...
- Shoe reduction: Ha! that will be the day. I am slave to new shoe fashions.
- Mess reduction: I keep the messiest desk going. But it is getting better.
- Pro: I don't lose stuff so much
- Con: I forget stuff not in front of me.
- Wife reduction: I've gone from several in key democratic states to just one.
- Pro: make Xmas shopping a lot easier.
- Con: I don't get to tell as many lies. (oh don't worry, Mel doesn't read this anymore, she thinks my blog is too crass. I agree.)
Note: in the photo I have cash in/on my wallet (Timbuk2 ID wallet), it was for effect only... Actually I don't get to carry cash nor do I get an allowance. I had to ask Mel for some paper money to see if the money clip worked. I suspect it will be stolen from me to pay back allowance to Reagan, who, I suspect, makes more than I...
Comments
Noj nOj noJ