Flashback: imaging me in high school,
That was pretty much the story of me and skiing. Mel has bad knees, so I gave it up for lent. Mel insists I can't give things up for lent because I am not Catholic. We argue about fun stuff like that.
Anyhow, that was it until Reagan wanted to try snowboarding. So we tried that. I tried for 2 years now to figure it out and despite my ridiculously good balance, I end up wearing more of the mountain than sliding down it.
A week or so ago, we put the kids in snowboarding lessons while I took the slopes on skis. I ruled the hill. Didn't fall once. Didn't take out anybody. And really enjoyed myself.
The kids did really really well. Ian has it, Reagan is still working on it (though she wants to try skis next time). She bailed to the car after her lesson while Ian showed me what he learned on the bunny slopes. He got on and off the lift really well. Listening to him chat on the ski lift was very cute.
So we headed down the hill. He did great. Much better than I ever did on a board. That last picture is he and I zooming over to where Mel was. I figured we'd have a crash of enormous proportions but nope, we zoomed.
Mel was very happy to have a couple of quiet hours with a book. So we are going to try to do this more. I am getting geared up and once we figure out what the kids need we'll get them going as well.
One huge plus of hitting the slopes again is it gives me the excuse to visit my awesome aunts and grandparents. I should get up there more and this will help.
Comments