
Last week, I excersiced my parental right to censor. In a move that is sure to keep my rating oh-so-low in the eyes of the 11 year-old crowd, I refused to let Reagan buy a song on iTunes.
To add music to her iPod, she has to buy it on my account, that means she needs my password. She is not a hacker and won't come up with it for some time. I plan to change pass words like I change my clothes: about every 3 or 4 days. You wish you worked from home too.
The offending song: Flo Rida's Low
"That's when I threw her legs on my shoulders"
The music is in the rap genre and while I don't care for this new-school artist, I find the lyrics offending. Now, if you know me, I have no problems with other rappers who preach of "selling drugs to the white man instead of the brother man" or songs about genocide in Darfur. She's listened to those and minus the occasional swear word (thanks guitar hero) and I don't think damage is done.
So the kid is a bit peeved at me. But as the gatekeeper, there isn't much she can do. Muh ha ha ha ha.
Comments
We only have one iPod - mine. When the kids do get to use it, I remove certain songs, most of them not so much for content like that, but it is the same idea ... Hearing our then 5 year old sing "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen was definitely NOT COOL!
Noj nOj noJ