Firstly, happy 1 month birthday to my niece. Yay!
Secondly, what is about rock stars? How did these slackers become the epitome of cool? If you think back, the folks in bands were the kids most likely to get you into trouble back in high school. There's no way they planned for their future. It is a darn wonder they broke out of that little town.
But they did. And now, your kids want to be like them.
Take Ian for example. Ever since last months Green Day concert, he's been all about the band. He wears his far too costly show t-shirt around like a badge of honor. He convinced Mrs. Melon to sign him up for electric guitar lessons.
This morning, Ian and I had a serious discussion about decorating guitars. [disclaimer: I was/am/always will be a handicapped drummer. Handicapped in the sense that I am disabled to play the skins. So what do I know? I wasn't cool enough to be in a band. At the very least, Ian still thinks I am cool. Reagan on the other hand (while still believing in Santa, figured out I am not cool.].
Ian, like many of us, has stars in his eyes and can't wait to get up on stage and jam.
His sister on the hand has gone in for a more reserved singer/songwriter type thing. She begins piano and voice lessons today. Did you ever notice, your kids want you to pay for lessons for anything you don't know. No one is asking me to teach them bicycle mechanics, or PhotoShop or Time-Wasting-Extreme (I minored in it). No, they want the money to leak from my wallet for exotic lessons.
Truth be told: I love watching Ian get excited about playing music. Get a load of the video above and you'll see the stars in his eyes while he air guitars...
Upon reflection, I don't want Reagan to be a rock star. Too many posters of her on bedroom walls, stalkers, made-for-TV movies etc. Is it sexist that I think it is OK for Ian?
Fact: If she were a rock star, Reagan wouldn't let me help with song selection, costume choice, brand definition. Ian, however, would have to let me help.
That and he'll buy me a house in LA or something...or at least we can get matching tatoos. sweet.
Secondly, what is about rock stars? How did these slackers become the epitome of cool? If you think back, the folks in bands were the kids most likely to get you into trouble back in high school. There's no way they planned for their future. It is a darn wonder they broke out of that little town.
But they did. And now, your kids want to be like them.
Take Ian for example. Ever since last months Green Day concert, he's been all about the band. He wears his far too costly show t-shirt around like a badge of honor. He convinced Mrs. Melon to sign him up for electric guitar lessons.
This morning, Ian and I had a serious discussion about decorating guitars. [disclaimer: I was/am/always will be a handicapped drummer. Handicapped in the sense that I am disabled to play the skins. So what do I know? I wasn't cool enough to be in a band. At the very least, Ian still thinks I am cool. Reagan on the other hand (while still believing in Santa, figured out I am not cool.].
Ian, like many of us, has stars in his eyes and can't wait to get up on stage and jam.
His sister on the hand has gone in for a more reserved singer/songwriter type thing. She begins piano and voice lessons today. Did you ever notice, your kids want you to pay for lessons for anything you don't know. No one is asking me to teach them bicycle mechanics, or PhotoShop or Time-Wasting-Extreme (I minored in it). No, they want the money to leak from my wallet for exotic lessons.
Truth be told: I love watching Ian get excited about playing music. Get a load of the video above and you'll see the stars in his eyes while he air guitars...
Upon reflection, I don't want Reagan to be a rock star. Too many posters of her on bedroom walls, stalkers, made-for-TV movies etc. Is it sexist that I think it is OK for Ian?
Fact: If she were a rock star, Reagan wouldn't let me help with song selection, costume choice, brand definition. Ian, however, would have to let me help.
That and he'll buy me a house in LA or something...or at least we can get matching tatoos. sweet.
Comments