Skip to main content

Have you met Pam?

A tale of two Pams.

This is my sister Pam. She is married (sorry fellas) and has two children.

We were homogonized as family at the age of 13 and were in the same grade. This made for an oil/water type relationship for most of our high school careers. I must say, having someone bringing age-appropriate girls into the house as a teenage boy made my life a little easier.

But back to the story. Oh, by the way, sorry about the photo. This is what you get when you yell, "Pam I have something for you" and then take her photo. So, we traveled in different circles and didn't see much of each other, especially if you count the neighbor and I conspiring not to bring her to school with us... (sorry about that too, but at the time it was darn funny)

Fast forward to today. I am amazed at how I expect to see the (we'll call her the old Pam, the girl that lived in the house with me) but meet the new Pam. I expect she'll bug me about giving her my share of the fuel money (we shared a car, but she did the books), but instead she is doing nice things for my kids.

So where am I going with this? Who knows. What I guess I am trying to say, it is nice to have a sister like her (despite my promises to never saying anything like that). My kids adore her even when they are puking on her (sorry about that too) and I think she'd do anything for her family. It is nice to see kids grow in to people.

I'll close with a story about a baseball. Pam played softball throughout high school. One day, all us kids decided to go play ball in the col-de-saq we lived on. I think my team was down one run, Pam was pitching and I was up. I smacked the heck out her weak pitch, and I take off for first.

The ball rockets to pams feet, then bounces on the hard asphalt up at her nose with blinding speed. I think screams ensued but I was running to hard to get to second by this point.

Pam falls like a sack of potatoes to the ground. I note this as I round third and head for home, just in case she is trying some sneaky play (and we needed the run to win).

So, I broke her nose. She spent what I am sure seemed like an eternity in some kind of mask that the boys and I made fun of for months. On the plus side, she did get some cocaine for the pain, so it was not a total loss, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...