
I would be negligent if I didn't recognize my Dad's superb parent skills last week. He probably doesn't realize it, but he gave us the perfect vaction.
He led/followed us in his boat to our beach in RI. He set the course and we just followed. Sure i would have done things a little different and called him to tell him so...; but that is expected.
Then he stayed with us, but not on top of us (he is a bit of a free spirit).
Then he announced we were parting ways, us back home, he onto Block Island. So we retraced our steps (with me wishing I paid more attention on the way there) back home. Easy as pie. It had been a while since I got to do any real navigation (flying at FIT if I recall correctly) and this was a great confidence boost.
He was the perfect combination of supportive without being overbearing (rare for the old man). His method of do as I do, then letting us go was really perfect parenting. He doesn't get the credit he deserves and he should. Even though his gut looks bigger than mine in the photo...
And yeah, I wear big floppy hats cause I burn like a California forest...
Comments