Skip to main content

Apparently, Ian's School has a "No-Spear" Policy. Oops




Ian comes home from Grandpa day at the Casino with a Native American Spear. Sure it has a playful leather tip that bends when jabbed with. But Ian says, "Now I can hunt animals!".

I have never been hunting, though my father and grandfather(s) have. I've never mentioned hunting to Ian so I am very curious where his fixation on hunting came from? You might recall on Thanksgiving he wanted to hunt for turkey then deer. So, I did some checking and found this handy "9 questions to find out if you might be raising a redneck":
  1. Does the child desire to hunt animals? -Oh yeah.
  2. Does the child listen to "Rascal Flatts" -Yep, #4 on the Cars Movie soundtrack.
  3. Does your child prefer American cars? -Yep, Lightening Mcqueen is an American car, a fact in which Ian is very proud.
  4. Does your child spill food on his shirt regularly? -Yep, though it may be learned.
  5. Does your child run around naked? -This is Ian's preferred attire. I don't know what the deal is, but any time a clothing change is involved he'll stop when nudy and do anything other than put his clothes on. I could be raising a streaker too I suppose.
  6. Does your child play the banjo? -No, but he does pluck a guitar with a broken string hanging from it...
  7. Does your child pee outdoors? -don't get me started on this one.
  8. Does the child enjoy BBq? -Yep. The more sauce the better.
Ok, so he may be a bit out there. But there is more, in a tag-team effort with his sister to overpower me (Reagan flanked me with, "Daddy, can you help me braid my hair with this electronic contraption that is sure to tie both of us together with hair leaving us unable to dial the phone for help?" and Ian's assault of "Daddy can I bring my Spear to school?". I foiled them with a do it yourself to Reagan and a ok, but I am bringing the spear back home with me after you show your class.

There is nothing like bringing your kid to school holding a spear in my opinion. In todays post 9-11 atmosphere, a spear brought looks of panic to other parent, who remained defenseless. Ian proudly displayed his spear to his friends, especially one girl I think he likes. Ah to be the BMOC (big man on campus) again... Good times. I walked tall leaving the schoolhouse with spear in hand, scanning for waterbuffalo...

On a side note, my critique of Grandpa days was a bit unfair and proved wrong. Ian was fed. He was not lost. He came home with minimal scarring. He says he had a great time helping "Grandpa win Indian gold by pulling a lever!". I am sure I don't know what that could mean...surely not slots...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey BMOC,I think you might be a redneck too ... Didn't you take care of numbers 4, 5 and 7 in Philly?

Noj nOj noJ
The Big Melon said…
Totally unfair to bring Philly into this...I really don't recall much after or before the baloney started getting thrown...
Anonymous said…
What? I thought I was being generous. #1 was not far off for you on one particular occasion ...

Noj nOj noJ
The Big Melon said…
These nefarious comments are getting you nowhere. Your disingenuous attitude will get you banned from leaving comments.

As I recall you were holding the spear gun...
Anonymous said…
Does the "Spears" policy pertain to Britney?

Noj nOj noJ

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...