Skip to main content

The Art of Falling


If an idiot falls in the woods and no one is there to see it, does he tell? If he has a blog he does!

So there I am enjoying my "church" time (where the rest of my family was), riding my cross bike on the road then offroad then back on the road to go home again. I am in the middle of a lovely, albeit confused weather-wise, forest adjusting my ear piece (I only wear one - so I can hear cars and cries for help - usually from myself) and absentmindedly had one pedal up and one down when sure enough the down pedal smacks a rock sending me hurtling face-first into the ground.

It was one of those great slow-motion falls. It seemed like I had all the time in the world to decide where to fall, how to fall, how to land, seeing the minute details. Then boom, I am down like a bag of bricks.

I am there lying on the ground, intertwined with my bicycle when I decide to fight the urge to get up quickly so as not to look like I've no idea what I am doing. It is January and besides deer, there is not anyone around. So I enjoy some quiet time on the ground. It is then that I envision I missed seeing something on my trip down and see them running towards me with an "oh my god, he is not moving" that forces me up.

I decide to call home and leave a message with my itinerary, you know, just in case next time my helmet doesn't do it job... Or perhaps if my brain doesn't do it's job (keeping your pedals level in a forest is mountain biking 101). It is then that I am passed by two hikers. Now I feel like an idiot for (a) not seeing them before and (b) for talking on my cell phone in "church" and (c) for lying on the ground like a sack of bricks. Idiot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...