Skip to main content

Veterans day a couple of days early





So on Sunday, we decided to adventure out to the USS Intrepid in NYC. It was the grand reopening weekend after being serviced in Jersey. The ship had a fresh coat of paint and we rolled up at about 10:30 (which is amazing considering the drive is an hour and half for us non-morning folks). And yes, I mean Reagan and I, not Mel and Ian.

We had access to the hangar deck and started there. They had several WWII planes and later Vietnam/Korea jets on display. Several choppers as well. The rest of the deck was hands on fun stuff like a replica of the space capsule the ship picked up or the A6 Intruder mock cockpit, the cargo nets for climbing and more. It was a six year olds dream.

Ok, a certain 37 year olds too. Being that close to many of the plane I've only seen on posters in my college dorm wall in Florida was thrilling.

After we'd been war machined out, we hiked over to Times Square as Ian really wanted to ride the Ferris Wheel inside the store. woo hoo. Somehow I'd managed to avoid this before, but my luck was destined to run out... Loads of fun. Place was hopping. I got recognized on the street outside by a rapper. Apparently he had seen my "JJ and the Muffin Mix Crew" rap group from the 80s...

Comments

Profe said…
Were you a Top Gun dork like my husband?
The Big Melon said…
Does your husband have his pilots license? I was in the flight program at FIT when I met him...

I outrank him in dorkiness. At least on this point.
Anonymous said…
You outrank me in dorkiness, period.

I seem to remember a trip to NY where you came down to spend some time in the city and you tried to get me on that crazy ferris wheel, and no, I don't think that was the trip where you were winking at the check-in guy in the lobby.

Noj nOj noJ

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...