Skip to main content

YouTube stole this election? I've got the proof



At the direction of my editor over at Gadgetell.com, I am scouring the net for helpful election info. I came across the chart above thanks to betfair.com. The chart shows " the most accurate, up-to-the-minute prediction of who will win the U.S. Presidential election based on millions of wagers placed in the world’s largest betting exchange." Neat stuff.

But look closer and you see a divergence on September 15th (a Monday). Something happened on this date that reversed both Obama's downward trend and McCain's comeback. So I start digging around for a turning point speech, an event that made everyone sway or something. I find nothing the candidates did. McCain phoned a rally in Atlanta. Matt Damon had a rant publicized about Palin and his uneasy feelings toward her. But then I found something else:

Could it be that Saturday Night Live's lampooning of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin handed this election to Obama? For many of us that can't stay up that late anymore, Tivo and YouTube turned this clip into a sensation and set the stage for some of SNLs highest ratings in years.

One could theorize (and I do) that the SNL skit changed the conversation in America from "us vs. them" to a view that makes the McCain ticket a punchline. No matter what you thought about Palin's qualifications before SNL, after you just had to giggle. And judging by the number of views of the partial clip on YouTube (NBC order YouTube to take down much of it), a lot of us were giggling.

Surely, SNL made fun of Obama and Biden, but was it Fey's spot on looks that turned this thing around? Was it her impersonation? Would future party candidates be vetted by who looks like them in SNL cast members? I am not sure I can answer these, but the 9/13 SNL and subsequent online viewing seems to have impacted this election.

Sound off, did SNL and online views of the show give this election to the Democrats? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Check out the updated chart: [betfair]

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hulu.com shows the video's in their entirety ... Good stuff ...

I love the Tina Fey impersonations of Sarah Palin, but I don't think that was real reason for the shift in poles:

The Dow dropped over 500 pts on that Monday, but the real reason The poles made a major shift,

Lehman Bros filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, one of the largest in US History.

Noj nOj nOJ
The Big Melon said…
not buying mr. Commenter. The general public could care less about Mr. Lehman and his siblings.

The dow didn't respond until later and by then the trend lines were firmly in place.

McCain got beat by Tina Fey. Awesome.
The Big Melon said…
ok, suppes, comments fixed just for you now.

And yes, Tina Fey swung the election.

believe it!
Anonymous said…
Tina Fey has it all, humor, beauty and Sarah Palin glasses, but she did not swing the election.

Didn't Lehman announce over the weekend that they were filing for bankruptcy? Since courts and the stock market are not open then, hard for them to react.

Isn't that also the day that Joe Biden kept pointing back to saying his best friend said at 9:00 that the fundamentals are sound and then at 11:00 AM everything bad?

Popular posts from this blog

todays survey

Since you all have done so well with the past two surveys I've taken ( another shirt slogan for Dad and do you get full eating salad or just bored ), here is another: If you eat, say, a bag full of fortune cookies - and I am not saying I have - do they all come true or just a first/last rule? Do they all negate if you eat more than one? Anyone? Bueller?

And now we are One!!!!

Who would have thought: you would keep reading after day 3? I would keep writing after day 2? (see http://robertwmason.blogspot.com/ for reference) that you would get anything out of this? that I would get anything out of this? that I would make 250 posts into this thing..? And "get" I did. Last month, I signed my first contract for a writing position (in my free time) with a Rhode Island magazine. I used many excerpts from my blog as samples and they dug it, enough to want to pay me. I am very excited about that. A big thank you to all of you that keep reading that misadventures of my family, friends and I. The journey thus far has been fun and giving you a bird-eye view into our lives is weirdly fun. At first it was like walking around naked, now I am a full fledged nudist; so to speak. In looking back over the first year, I live like a king. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of reflection to see how good you've got it. Usually this hits me on business trips and ...

How I'll probably die

My new thing has gotten me running, yes running, the past week without complaint and without watching the clock. Unfortunately, the high-risk fringe sport will probably have Ian find me at the end of the treadmill runway, twisted, with a guitar slung from my neck. What is it you ask? Some kind of Mariachi Marathon? Close. Running while playing Guitar Hero is the greatest thing since running with my buddy Jeff. Come to think of it, that really was just running with someone calling you, "fatty" the whole time, but I digress. Running while jamming on guitar trying desperately to keep up with great hits like "American Women" and the surprisingly fitting, "Band on the run". See what I did there? Anyhow, it is freaking amazing. No longer are my eyes glued to the maddening clock. No longer am looking at data (which I seem to hate when it is counting my exercise), I am playing a game. I am a Rock God when I run. Now, I know what you are thinking. Being a...