I don't usually plug any product, as really I don't like to deal with anything bought or sold. For me, it is all about kickboxing, the sport of the future... but I digress,
http://www.emusic.com/promo.html
If you sign up, they give you 125 free mp3s. Even legally. And if you cancel your membership before one month, it is really free. I did it today. However, it comes with a warning:
Turns out 125 songs isn't really a lot. I am done. Zeroed out. Where did they go? Did they play with the number system some how. Nope, the answer is "Ska". For those uninitiated with Ska, think a big horn section and a snappy beat. Kinda like Reggae on crack, if you will.
Many of you don't know that I was in a Ska band in San Diego back in the mid-nineties, the
VolkSKAgens and then later, SKAliwags. As drummer, I played mostly local gigs and were offered a record contract from the same producer as No Doubt (fellow San Diegoians? Diegoites? Diegans?, awe cripes, folks from San Diego). Here is a picture from a gig in 1996.
While my career ended in a drumstick-chucking incident (which I still feel bad about) that forced us to flee CA out of fear of a lawsuit and the India-n Mob hot on our tails... But that is another story.
So grab all the mp3s you can get, and pick up some ska. Just heed my advice and don't chuck your sticks at the end of the show...
http://www.emusic.com/promo.html
If you sign up, they give you 125 free mp3s. Even legally. And if you cancel your membership before one month, it is really free. I did it today. However, it comes with a warning:
Turns out 125 songs isn't really a lot. I am done. Zeroed out. Where did they go? Did they play with the number system some how. Nope, the answer is "Ska". For those uninitiated with Ska, think a big horn section and a snappy beat. Kinda like Reggae on crack, if you will.
Many of you don't know that I was in a Ska band in San Diego back in the mid-nineties, the
VolkSKAgens and then later, SKAliwags. As drummer, I played mostly local gigs and were offered a record contract from the same producer as No Doubt (fellow San Diegoians? Diegoites? Diegans?, awe cripes, folks from San Diego). Here is a picture from a gig in 1996.While my career ended in a drumstick-chucking incident (which I still feel bad about) that forced us to flee CA out of fear of a lawsuit and the India-n Mob hot on our tails... But that is another story.
So grab all the mp3s you can get, and pick up some ska. Just heed my advice and don't chuck your sticks at the end of the show...
Comments