1986 (or there about), my dad, "salesman" gets in his company car, drives to the airport, catches a plane to go see a customer in Mississagua.
2006 (spot on), I "sales engineer" get in my company car, drive to the airport, catch a plane to go see a customer in Mississagua.
Fantastic, I've become my old man. Despite my best efforts.
One of the best talks I've had with my Dad was about this very thing. About a month ago, Dad was listening to NPR and they were talking about how you measure success today vs. the last generation. In my Dads day, you made a lot of money, you were a success. Today, it tends to be more about quality time with the family.
Certainly my Dad achieved great sales success, but I am home more (by choice).
Just different priorities. Dad surprised me when answering my question about him being a born salesman. Says he really never felt like it was a calling, just something he did. Parents are so much more interesting when you talk to them, rather than around them...
2006 (spot on), I "sales engineer" get in my company car, drive to the airport, catch a plane to go see a customer in Mississagua.
Fantastic, I've become my old man. Despite my best efforts.
One of the best talks I've had with my Dad was about this very thing. About a month ago, Dad was listening to NPR and they were talking about how you measure success today vs. the last generation. In my Dads day, you made a lot of money, you were a success. Today, it tends to be more about quality time with the family.
Certainly my Dad achieved great sales success, but I am home more (by choice).
Just different priorities. Dad surprised me when answering my question about him being a born salesman. Says he really never felt like it was a calling, just something he did. Parents are so much more interesting when you talk to them, rather than around them...
Comments